Monday, February 20, 2006

live like you're dying...

Again I have been busted by the blog watchers and asked on numerous occasions when I am going to add to my page again. I horrified myself when I realised it has been 11 days since my last blog. Bad girl. Things have been busy. Anyway, here it is.

Well it’s now the fourth week of a six week term and things are flying. I went to volleyball today and I am off surfing for the day tomorrow at Philip Island. I can’t wait.

Congratulations to mum, who for the first time in her 57 years of living, got her ears pierced. Of course she screamed when it was done, but to her credit, she didn’t faint.

I have had some interesting comments made to me over the last few weeks. Some of which have upset me a bit and some which I am wondering if they are really true or not. I am hoping not, but then there are usually reasons as to why people say things, so it has made me wonder where they come from.

I heard a song the other day and one line from it went something like ‘live like you’re dying’. This has made me think more than anything else over the last few days. I think I really do want to live like I’m dying. I mean this in the sense of not being scared or not holding back, not wasting time, not saying what you really mean or think or feel. Really, life is kind of short, I’ve been alive for 26 years already, that time has flown. Going by the averages I’ve probably already lived about a third of my life and I feel like I’m still only getting started. So I do want to live like I’m dying, and hopefully it won’t be for a long long long time yet, but I will one day. So why live life like you’re not going to die???

on a lighter note...

It’s a small world…yesterday as brad and aaron and I were moving things from my friend sarah’s house into storage, her neighbour pulls up and it is nathan curtis who was one of my friends at high school. He was in the car – with his wife and baby – a spin out in itself – and has been sarah’s neighbour this whole time. I visit sarah on a regular enough basis, but as yet we have never bumped into each other. How bizarre how bizarre.

and for those interested - 5 weeks, 4 sleeps to go

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy G said...

(1) OF COURSE I'm interested in how many sleeps are left!

(2) Congratulations Agnes!

(3) If I said anything offensive can you please tell me so I can explain what I REALLY meant cause I totally would NEVER have intended offense. Please promise you'll say.

(4) 11 days is a long time for us blog-watchers to live without your blogs so I, for one, am glad you're posting. Happy surfing.

Wendy

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so wright in saying that we should live like we are dying and you look like you are but remember to stop and smell the roses every now and again....

One thing I have learnt is to never forget the special ones in your life the ones who have always been there for you, you know in your heart whom they are. You should want them to enjoy the next 2/3 of your life with you...

P.S Marry for the right reasons, because at the end of the day he or she should be your favourite person not your favourite belief!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do live like you are dying you really will stop to smell the beautiful scent of a rose.....that is LIVING!!! Living like you are dying is learning to appreciate everything that God has given you. Even from the smallest things like time with a small child, friends, the smell of coffee - if you like it, each single day - live it well and live it abundantly!
Peace
Kez

12:30 AM  
Blogger Wendy G said...

I just gotta comment again . . . my dad died in December and I've thought OFTEN in the last month or two that his last day was EXACTLY the day he would've chosen if he could've . . . the pain from his bone cancer wasn't too bad and he was feeling as well as he had in months. I was working a 1-5 pm shift and mum was going to pick the kids up from school for me and drop them to my place and stay with them till 5 . . . . dad said he was feeling well and said to mum that he'd like to come too . . . so he came in the car and picked my kids up from school. At my place Em opened the garage door so dad could come inside (he couldn't get up the front steps anymore but could get in through the back door). He sat on the couch with the kids and looked at the school magazine which'd come out that day. He apparently had his arm around Nick and they just chatted. Both kids gave him a big kiss goodbye and he left. He died in the next 1/2 hour. He'd apparently had a good lunch that day and was feeling so well that he actually finished his lunch and he'd had a good day with mum doing nothing in particular. He liked to be able to get her a cup of tea in the morning (and he had been well enough that day) and he liked to be able to put the garbage out (and he'd managed that as well). They were jobs he didn't like to see mum do (he liked to fill the car with petrol too). I'd LOVE to have kissed him that day, but I'd seen him two days before and cooked him a meal and I'm really happy that the kids got time in that last hour with him.

Dad KNEW he was dying and he simply wanted to live his life exactly the same way he had done so previously in as much as he could. That's a testament, I believe, to a man who lived his life like he was dying . . . he did EXACTLY what he wanted in life which was to be honest, sincere, wise, trustworthy and he bought up 8 great (OK I'm biased) kids and was a faithful and true husband to my mum. At the funeral my brother Pete told about how he had a paper round for 2 years and had to be up at 4 am and how dad didn't miss a single day of being up before Pete and making him a cup of hot Akta Vite cause he couldn't stand the thought of Pete going out to do the paper round on an empty stomach.

I want to live *that* life. I want my husband and kids to say that I was a good, honest, hardworking, faithful, loving, true mother. I want God to recognise my faithfulness to him in the jobs with which I've been blessed (mostly being a wife and mum). Brad, if you're reading this then I want you to know that I believe that my perseverance and the congruence of my actions and words are some of the things that I believe will put me on the frontline for God.

Dad wasn't a Christian man - he was Jewish - but I believe God will justly judge his heart. If you haven't ever read it before, read "The Last Battle" by CS Lewis.

OK, I'm shutting up now . . . but dad's death is still a topic that's really on my mind.

Love
Wendy (who is glad she hasn't offended you Fi and I REALLY promise I'm shutting up now)

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker